This bill directs the Attorney General to establish a Federal system for licensure [of handgun owners] and registration of all handguns, to include a database of handguns and handgun owners.
Handgun ownership will be prohibited unless the owner has been licensed by said federal system, and the handgun itself is registered with a federal, state, or local law enforcement agency.
The Attorney General may certify a State licensure system if;
- The State system includes a database of handguns and owners; and,
- The State system provides criminal penalties for possession of a handgun by anyone who;
- has not completed a training course,
- is not licensed by the state, or
- has not registered the handgun as required above.